Waverley School House
The first public building in the Waverly community was the public school, probably built in 1842 or perhaps a year earlier. The building was probably prompted by the financial aid provided by the School Act of 1841. It is presently unclear where in Waverley this important building stood, since the site of this school was never deeded, but to have established a school as early as 1842 in so small a community was a notable achievement.
In 1848 the settlers built a new log school. This school was definitely on the Samuel French property (N/75/1/Flos) and a deed was prepared, but never registered.
It is possible the old seaman James Gravett was the first teacher in this school, as the County did make payment to him twice in 1849. He may, indeed, have been the teacher in the old school as early as 1842, as there is no other known candidate.
There were some changes made to the school in 1856 (the same year the first Anglican church was built) but it is difficult to say whether a new building was erected. The school was kept in Tay for part of the year, and then moved to Flos, but it is unlikely that there was a school building in Tay at this time. Possibly some other building (the church!) was being used temporarily. Attendance was at a low ebb: in 1857 the average attendance was only 5 or 6 pupils, although there was considerable fluctuation because of the seasons and seasonal work. Some significant repairs were undertaken in 1860.
1867 and 1868 were momentous years for the little community. Not only was a new frame school built but the first Methodist Church was build. Both were frame buildings, probably the first in the community. The school was purchased from Thomas French, at the south east corner of his farm (North half lot 75 con 1 Flos), a little south east of where a more recent school still stands. This school, built by local contractor George Sibbald, was enlarged in 1875 by Thomas Kettle, another local carpenter. The 1875 enlargement was contrary to the advice of the school inspector, who had recommended a new school. A new brick school was built on the same site in 1881-2 (this was surely the first brick structure in the community) and part of the funds were raised by a municipal debenture. The old frame building was moved and became a shed on the Thomas French farm. The new school and the enlargement were to deal with the much larger number of pupils attending by the 1870s, both from farm families and from the workers, families at the Orr Lake mills. When the brick school was replaced on the same site by the present building in 1926 by Webb Bros. and Trew, of Wyevale (who also constructed the Martyr's Shrine in Midland).
Chidiac Animal Hospital moved into the building in 2007 after it was renovated to the veterinary hospital that it is today.